Thursday, May 10, 2007

Pastors for Public Office?

I happen to notice that there are quite a few pastors running for public office. I don't know this is a debatable issue there are some pros & cons to it. Again I'm just an amateur blogger, not an authority in this issue.

Pros:
1.) They have a good moral compared to the corrupt officials.
2.) During the OT when the Kings followed God they had peace and prosperity. And when they had kings that did not follow God well they got punished. But again we cannot claim this promise cuz this promise was given to the israelites
3.) The Bible does not say anything against Pastors running for office.


Cons:
1.) Pastors are people too. Politics is dirty and when they make mistakes, their mistakes are magnified because they are Christians
2.)During the NT, the apostles got deacons and elders to help do the administration of the church. They wanted to concentrate on teaching the Word of God. The question is what is the Pastors calling? lead the church or the public? The Bible does say that the Pastors are called to preach and to teach.
3.)when apostle Paul saw the injustice & persecution done to him or the Christians. He did not lead rallies or went against the gov't. He used this opportunity to share Jesus to the guards, the prisoners, the leaders, etc...
4.) The church is not a place to campaign. Every Christian has the right to choose who they want to vote for and as Chirstians even if we do not have the same political opinion we can still come together and still worship our God together. There will be riffs if the church is used to promote on candidate over the other.

Bottom line:
1.) We should ask what will God get out of this?
2.) As a Christian, God has given us the wisdom and the right to vote democratically for our country. Go out and vote
3.) God is still in control.

Let's pray for our leaders

Prov 8:12-21
12 "I, wisdom, dwell together with prudence; I possess knowledge and discretion. 13 To fear the Lord is to hate evil; I hate pride and arrogance, evil behavior and perverse speech. 14 Counsel and sound judgment are mine; I have understanding and power. 15 By me kings reign and rulers make laws that are just; 16 by me princes govern, and all nobles who rule on earth. 17 I love those who love me, and those who seek me find me. 18 With me are riches and honor, enduring wealth and prosperity. 19 My fruit is better than fine gold; what I yield surpasses choice silver. 20 I walk in the way of righteousness, along the paths of justice, 21 bestowing wealth on those who love me and making their treasuries full.

/****/

Lord, help me lay it all down before you

"You want to be real, you want to be empty inside
You want to be someone laying down your pride
You want to be someone someday
Then lay it all down before the king

You want to be whole, you want to have purpose inside
You want to have virtue and purify your mind

You want to be set free today
Then lay it all down before the king..."

Jeremy Camp, My Desire

No comments:


 

Free Blog Counter